Kansas City VA Medical Center
Medical Foster Home Program
Medical Foster Home Program (MFH) is a voluntary program that offers safe, long-term care in a home like setting. MFH is an affordable comprehensive care housing alternative for Veterans. The program is managed by Home Based Primary Care of the Kansas City VA Medical Center.
Learn more about our program
Download our MFH Program Brochure.
Read this article 'Where Heroes Meet Angels'.
Medical Foster Homes
Regular comprehensive case management visits are made by the VA Home Based Primary Care Team: (Nurse Practitioner, Nurse, Social Worker, Dietitian, Psychologist, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist & the MFH Recreational Therapist).
- Furnished private room
- 24-hour care plan--Caregiver lives in home and provides hands on daily care
- Medication Management
- Personal care (dressing, grooming, bathing etc)
- Meals, laundry, cleaning
- Flexible daily routine with various recreational options
- Long term care option
- Signed care agreement between caregiver and the Veteran or legal representative
- Personalized care
- Maximum of 3 residents per home
- High levels of caregiver and veteran satisfaction
Service Area- 50 mile radius from the Excelsior Springs, MO CBOC & 30 mile radius from the Kansas City VA Medical Center
- Getting Care & Comfort at KCVA Medical Foster Homes
- Veteran Shared Decision Making Worksheet
- Must pass annual inspection by the VA Inspection Team
Must have a valid state foster care license to provide care
Must be owned or rented by the caregiver
Must be 21 years or older and financially stable
Are flexible and have positive problem solving skills
Caregivers live in home and are experienced with providing daily hands on patient care
Are physically able to provide the needed care
Must have written backup plan if unable to provide care
Ensures a friendly homelike atmosphere
Must work with the VA Home Care Team
Complete annual training.
Create a compassionate, family like environment
Private pay--Average rates are based on care needs: $1500 to $3000
For more information please call 816-922-2009.
Kansas City VA
- 800-525-1483 Ext. 52009
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.